Drug addiction, clinically termed substance use disorder, is a process in which a person develops compulsion with time. As time progresses, the urge tends to become worse. Medical support is a must that helps secure the well-being of an addict.
If we talk of overall addiction, it can be any that defines a person can get addicted to drugs, foods, sex, exercise, gambling, etc. The journey of addiction may start with experiments, peer pressure, or a pleasure-seeking perspective. Whatever the reason is, drug addiction affects an individual both mentally and physically. Reach a trusted rehabilitation centre in Siliguri to combat addiction.
Understanding Drug Addiction
Why do individuals take drugs?
Outlined below are some of the significant causes that make people indulge in substance abuse:
- To experiment or get pleasurable experience
- Being under peer pressure
- To cope with stress
- For improving performance at work, school, study
- To get rid of the experience of a stressful event
- Lack of parental care
Different people have diffrent reasons for getting into drug addiction. But early professional assistance can secure their health by all means.
Psychological symptoms of drug addiction
- Mood swings
- Panic attacks
- Irresistible urge
- Self-harming thoughts
Physical Symptoms of drug addiction
- Sleep disturbances
- Lung cancer
- Heart disease
- Liver disease
- Bloodshot eyes
- Fertility complications
- Slurred speech
- Avoidance of personal hygiene
Social symptoms of drug addiction
- Being secretive
- Not attaining schools or official
- Losing interest in activities
- Isolating oneself from social gatherings/activities
- Frequent need for money
- Relationship problems
- Financial debt/issues
Knowing the types of drug addiction
The types of drug addiction have been diversified into two categories:
This type of addiction is consumed or inserted into the body. Alcohol, tobacco, cocaine, marijuana, prescribed drugs, opioids misuse come under physical addiction of drugs, known as – Alcohol Addiction, Illicit Drug Addiction, and Prescribed Drug Addiction.
It’s a form of addiction that involves non-substance-related actions or behavior. Gambling, sex addiction, food addiction, exercise addiction, internet/social media addiction, self-harming, shopping, video game addiction are the most common types of behavioral addictions.
What are the risk factors for drug addiction disorder?
Have a closer look at the conditions that might increase the likelihood of drug abuse:
- Early use of drugs accelerates the progress of drug addiction.
- A family history of drug addiction might affect the person in the same way.
- Peer pressure is one of the leading reasons for substance dependency.
- Lack of paternal monitoring can be a possible risk of substance dependency.
- An existing mental health condition (depression, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, loneliness, painful feelings.
Fight Drug Addiction Promisingly
Ways to prevent substance dependency
Some of the best ways to prevent addiction involve:
- Communication is key to solving many problems. But one must know whom to talk to or ask for help. Speaking to a loved one or parents can help solve issues more promisingly.
- Listening is a cruicial part of healthy communication. Rather than blaming a person for his dependency, listening to his problem ensures optimal outcomes. Help a near one visit medical experts at the earliest.
- ·Being around a healthy boundary keeps numerous problems at bay. Productive hobbies, good surroundings, healthy bonding with friends, family help a person a lot in creating constructive thinking. Contact the best detox center in Siliguri for quality addiction recovery.
Upon diagnosis, a specialist ensues the best-ever treatment options for the addict. Drug detoxification, cognitive behavioural therapy, individual therapy, medication-assisted therapies work incredibly great at the healing of drug abuse disorder.