Depression is a mood disorder characterized by a continuing feeling of sadness, hopelessness, loneliness, and loss of interest. There’s no doubt that depression is way more than being just sad for a few days. This mental health condition is common and out-and-out concerning.
Consulting a medical specialist is the best thing you can do for your well-being. There are different types of treatments available to heal depression. Doctors, upon proper psychological and physical examination, determine your treatment. For depression healing, you might visit the best psychiatric nursing home in Siliguri.
This reading helps you identify the signs and symptoms of depression. And if you notice any such signs, wise to visit a doctor. You can share your feeling with your loved one whom you trust. Let’s talk about its symptoms:
- Feelings of hopelessness/helplessness that don’t heal with time
- Feeling lonely/empty
- Mood changes more often
- Feelings of sadness that persists
- Lacking interest in hygiene, hobbies, day-to-day activities
- Unable to enjoy moments even if surrounded by loved ones
- Feeling worthless/there’s no meaning in life
- Ongoing sense of guilt for no reason
- Getting easily irritated, angry, or annoyed
- Insomnia/trouble falling asleep
- Tiredness, fatigue, lack of energy, being easily worn out
- Lack of appetite/poor appetite
- Overeating/binge eating
- Experiencing pains, aches (headaches), digestive issues
- Suicidal thoughts, suicidal attempts
- Persistent negative thoughts that are hard to control
- Problem concentrating, remembering things, making decisions
These are some common experiences with depression. Expert attention is required so that you can fight depression optimally. Visit the top hospital in Siliguri for psychiatric treatment. Recovery time depends on the severity of the condition and how the individual responds to the treatment.
Some risk factors for depression include personality attributes (dependency on others, pessimistic, self-critical/judgemental, poor self-image) family history of depression in first-degree relatives, drug/alcohol withdrawal, chronic illnesses, stressful/traumatic life events, personal history of anxiety disorder/post-traumatic stress disorder, or depression, unsupportive environment, exposure to bullying, etc.
If major depressive disorder remains undiagnosed/untreated can result in several complications, such as social isolation, suicidal attempts/thoughts, drug addiction, alcohol dependence, anxiety disorders, poor work life, poor personal life, relationship conflicts, cognitive issues, pains, obesity, hormonal imbalance, heart disease.
Apt diagnosis is important in order to rule out its type, such as major depression, persistent depressive disorder, seasonal affective disorder, peripartum depression, situational depression, bipolar depression, psychotic depression, atypical depression. Diagnostic tests/procedures for depression include a physical exam, psychological exam, complete blood tests, etc. You might consult a mental health specialist at the best psychiatric nursing home in Siliguri.
Lifestyle guidance and modifications, medications, psychotherapy/talk therapy, electroconvulsive therapy, and residential treatment options help heal depression. Alternative care like yoga, meditation, art, including a new activity in life such as gardening, cooking, playing guitar might improve your well-being.